Many people get confused about the WordPress.org and WordPress.com. Basically WordPress is the free blogging software to create a blog in just few clicks. WordPress is an open source software built with PHP. Now lets see the difference between WordPress (.org and .com).
What you can do with WordPress.com:
- We need to sign up for a WordPress.com blog, you will get a blog URL like
- There is no need to download or install WordPress for creating your own blog.
- No need to pay for hosting or a domain. (You can purchase domain if you need one.)
- You do not have control over the theme customization or the database.
- No editing source to make changes into your blog.
- Although it is free and you can create number of blogs by just creating an account but still it is not really your own.
Note: WordPress.com also offers paid features. These features are optional and it is really upto you to go on with it. WordPress.com is free but has quite a few restrictions.
WordPress.org provides flexibility to users:
- You will need to download WordPress from WordPress.org and install it free.
- Change the appearance of your blog as you wish.
- Install a number of plugins to get more flexibility into the blog. (No plugins with WordPress.com)
- Install number of themes, change / activate whichever one you like.
- You can play with the PHP code and database (if you have knowledge of it). 😉
- It allows adding advertisement links, shopping carts and third party sales (like affiliates links).
- Although it is free to use, you need to purchase hosting and domain to get it live publicly, but with WordPress.org you truly “own” your blog.
If you take my word, get the self hosted WordPress blog (download link WordPress.org). Decision is yours after all, blog is yours. 🙂